St. Mary’s of Winfield ⇢ St. Mary's (Winfield) Church
Giant cross above the main entrance... 70-31 48th Ave., Woodside, Queens, NYC, NY.
✎ Though you won’t find Winfield (founded in 1854) listed on modern maps, the village was, at one time, a major center of industry and railroad. The largest employer in the area was a foundry. The factory manufactured metal coffins – a good trade to be in with so many cemeteries in the area. Business later expanded when major rail lines converged at Winfield. During WWI, the factory was converted into an aircraft-making center. The same factory, at another time, also made Singer sewing machines. Alas, the entire complex is now gone. After World War II, the name “Winfield” became disused and the town was divided between Woodside and Maspeth.
✎ To minister to the predominantly German Catholic population, the church of St. Mary’s was built during the same year that the town was born (1854). “Winfield” was later added to the name to distinguish this parish from St. Mary’s in Long Island City, when the latter was founded in 1868. St. Mary’s of Winfield celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2004.
♱ If interested in a more detailed history of the church and/or photos of the original structure(s), visit the history section of the church's website.