It all started in 1827 with the foundation of the City of Bremerhaven as a harbour for the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen. The same year saw the establishment of the first harbour, where the museum fleet of the German Maritime Museum is docked today as well as the construction of the first of a total of 250 large tall ships launched up to 1927. Some of these, for example the four-mast barque “Krusenstern” (ex “Padua”) or the barque “Statsraad Lehmkuhl” (ex ”Großherzog Friedrich August“) are still sailing the world’s oceans. Others are docked as museum ships in international harbours.
The “Lütte Sail” serves simultaneously as aprelude and a milestone to the international Tall Ship Festival “Sail Bremerhaven 2010” (link).