This is a crane fly. We call them Daddy longlegs, why I don't know. It's a little jaggy here, but seems okay on the clickthrough. Those round extensions below the wings (halteres) are for flight dampening.

4 comments so far...

janress May 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
I like it :)
This is Tipulidae .
mramshaw May 17, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks very much @janress. I researched Tipulidae, very interesting.

This picture seems not good enough to ID species, but Tipulidae helps.

These guys are also called Gollywhoppers (and other funny names).

The round extensions are called 'halteres' and are gyroscopic.
So as well as being for dampening, they are also for positional feedback.

MickPt June 28, 2011, 07:43 AM
Nice pic.
mramshaw June 28, 2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks Mick, some work masking the fly itself during processing, but worth it I think.
Add a comment...
Your name:
Your e-mail:

About 23

About 23
What is 23 and who's behind the service?
Just In
Discover the world from a different angle.
Here's a crop of the latest photos from the around the world.
Search photos from users using 23
Help / Discussion
Get help or share your ideas to make 23 better
23 Blog / 23 on Twitter
Messages and observations from Team 23
Terms of use
What can 23 be used for and what isn't allowed
More services from 23
We also help people use photo sharing in their professional lives
  • Basque (ES)
  • Bulgarian (BG)
  • Chinese (CN)
  • Chinese (TW)
  • Danish (DK)
  • Dutch (NL)
  • English (US)
  • French (FR)
  • Galician (ES)
  • German (DE)
  • Italian (IT)
  • Norwegian (NO)
  • Polish (PL)
  • Portuguese (PT)
  • Russian (RU)
  • Spanish (ES)
  • Swedish (SE)

Popular photos right now